Friday, October 2, 2009

Chicago Baby

Kids were off in Florida with their Dad visiting their grandparents (Dave and Cathy). I didn't want to sit at home by myself for a week and a half so I headed to Chicago to see my friends Nancy and Mark McClelland. They are really wonderful friends, always fun and so welcoming. I really needed some support and those two were rock solid. We had FUN. Aside from hanging out and talking, we did a lot of stuff in just a couple days.

Nancy and I went to the Field Museum and indulged our inner-geekness by spending the whole time in the Evolution exhibit. I can't even believe some of the amazing fossils on display there (not to mention Sue the Tyrannosaurus Rex). I can't think of anyone it's more fun to visit museums with than Nancy! Nancy and I also attended a super (and super fancy) cooking class where I learned "Chicken 101." It was so cool. I really learned a lot. Nancy, who is an excellent cook, was along for advice and support. In fact, there was a bit of a cooking theme to the visit as Nancy also taught me to make one or two other recipes.

Finally, Nancy and Mark set up an evening with a bunch of their friends at the Rock-n-Bowl which is sort of like bowling in a nightclub (smoke machines, video screens and pulsating lights in the darkness). It was hilariously fun, though I drank too much and now must put my trust in Mark to keep my secrets as only he knows what I did and said at the end of the evening. It brought back memories of a party right before their wedding when similar revelry resulting in Nancy being punched in the eye by a drunk Irishman who was dancing wildly (makeup worked b/c she looked beautiful at wedding).

So, as you can see, visiting Nancy and Mark is always the best. I wish I saw them more often. Here are a couple photos of the visit.

Nancy and the Chicago skyline.

The famous Sue

Nancy in front of one of many amazing fossils at the Field Museum. Those are fossil fish around the plant.

At the Rock-n-Bowl. Smoke machines made taking pictures difficult (and the drinking).

Nancy taking on the lanes.

Nancy and Jolie

Nancy and her friend demonstrating how the classy bowl - with glasses of wine. That place had an amazing good bar for a bowling alley.





3 comments:

Nancy said...

Agh, you did it to me again! I am totally teary-eyed and sniffly now, the way I was after watching your train pull away... it WAS such a great visit, but I didn't realize until now that you enjoyed it as much as we did. Please come visit ANY TIME -- you have a standing invitation. You are the best and we miss and love you SO much! Hugs, Nancy

Natalie said...

If that wasn't a perfect time, I just don't know what would be. I'm so glad you got to chill in Chicago. And I gotta say, wine and bowling? All right! Woot!

(OK, so wine and pretty much anything is woot in my book...)

Love that you got to nourish the inner geek. :)

Nancy said...

All my friends keep asking when you're coming back to visit...